For as long as we can remember, cannabis has been considered to be a hard drug, often grouped together with cocaine or heroin. This has led to stigmatization, resulting in the development of myths about the use of medical cannabis.
This article aims to clarify the 7 most common myths that people hold about medical cannabis.
7 Myths About Medical Cannabis
All Medical Cannabis Products Get You High
A conversation about cannabis is incomplete without the mention of the high. The chemical compound in cannabis that produces intoxication in the body is THC. However, it is not mandatory that every medical cannabis product will have THC.
The cannabis plant contains more than 100 different cannabinoids, each with its respective properties. Some medical cannabis formulations contain little or no THC. These formulations will not produce a high effect but will still be effective medical cannabis formulations.
A common cannabinoid that has medicinal value and does not cause intoxication is CBD or cannabidiol.
The only way to take Medical Cannabis is to Smoke it
Smoking is the most popularly known way of consuming cannabis. However, it is not the only way. In the present time, you can choose from at least 4 different types of methods of consumption.
Cannabis vapes, oil drops (to be consumed directly or applied topically), and cannabis-infused food and drink items are some common alternatives to smoking medical cannabis.
These alternative methods make the consumption of medical cannabis easier and convenient.
Please note that vaping is illegal in India and we recommend that you adopt alternative methods of consuming medical cannabis.
Eating and Smoking Cannabis has the Same Effects
Different consumption methods produce different effects in the body. Depending on the method of consumption, cannabis can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour to show effects.
The time taken by different consumption methods to show effects is usually spread out as:
- Smoking or Vaping: these are perhaps the most instantaneous methods of experiencing the effects of cannabis. In the case of smoking and vaping, cannabis reaches the bloodstream within 1-2 minutes and shows effects almost instantaneously. Through this method, the effects stay in the system for almost 1-2 hours.
- Sublingual Consumption: refers to the process of directly consuming the cannabis oil extracts by placing it under the tongue. This is also a fast method showing effects in 5-20 minutes. Here too, the effects remain for 1-2 hours.
- Cannabis-infused Edibles: ready-to-eat food and drink items that are infused with cannabis extracts. These are an easy and convenient way of consuming cannabis. However, edibles can take up to an hour to show effects. But at the same time, the effects of cannabis edibles last for 5-7 hours.
- Topical Application: using the cannabis oil externally by massaging it gently over the inflamed muscles, joint, or skin. This method shows effects within 10 minutes and the effects last for 1-2 hours.
Consuming Medical Cannabis leads to more Drug Use
This is perhaps one of the most popularly held myths about medical cannabis. Many view cannabis as the gateway drug and believe that regular use can create addiction in the body.
However, contrary to popular opinion, cannabis is being studied as a potential means to help fight nicotine and opium addiction in the body. Some studies suggest that medical cannabis is a much safer and natural alternative for a number of prescribed pharmaceutical medicines.
Medical Cannabis kills Brain Cells
Another common belief that stems from misinformation is that cannabis use can lead to the degeneration of brain cells. Many associate this with the intoxicating or euphoric effects that cannabis produces.
However, research suggests that a long term and heavy use of cannabis does not kill brain cells. In fact, the active compounds in cannabis are believed to have neuroprotective properties which on the contrary help in combating any damage done to brain cells.
Smoking Medical Cannabis is worse than Tobacco
Unlike tobacco, smoking cannabis does not entail the inhalation of numerous different additives that are commonly found in commercial cigarettes. Because of this many people believe that cannabis is not as effective as tobacco cigarettes.
However, studies suggest that smoke from cannabis is much less harmful than smoke from cigarettes.
Moreover, with cannabis oil drops, edibles, and creams, it is possible to experience the benefits of cannabis without any smoke at all.
Medical (Ayurvedic) Cannabis is Illegal in India
Contrary to popular belief, Ayurvedic cannabis is not illegal in India. Cannabis is a Schedule-E1 drug regulated by the AYUSH Ministry and the Excise Department of India.
You can buy ayurvedic cannabis medicines in India by presenting a valid prescription from an Ayurvedic doctor. To book an online medical cannabis consultation in India, click here.
Buy Medical Cannabis in India
Ayurvedic Cannabis Medical Listing Guidelines (Free E Book)₹0.00
The Trost Trost Rollens Woody, Pack of 5₹420.00
The Trost Trost Rollens Earthy, Pack of 5₹420.00
CannaReleaf Skin Health Oil Cannabis Extract + Coconut (50ml)₹499.00
Ayurvedic Consultation for Cannabis Medicines₹500.00
TotalHeal Trailokya Vijaya Vati (30 Tablets | 60 Tablets)₹500.00 – ₹1,000.00
CannaReleaf Arthritis Pain Oil Cannabis Extract + Hemp Seed Oil (50ml)₹599.00
CannReleaf Muscle Relief CBD oil, 50ml₹649.00
CannaReleaf Skin Health Oil Cannabis Extract + Coconut (100ml)₹749.00
- How to Select the Right Medical Cannabis Product?The world of cannabis medicines can get overwhelming, to say the least, especially if you’re trying medical cannabis products in India for the first time. There is a not-so-long but equally important checklist of information you should have a grasp on before you begin your medical cannabis journey. In this article, we list down the […]
- Understanding Cannabis RatiosAs we continue to explore the very many therapeutic benefits of cannabis, we learn more about the different types of cannabis products that can be used to reap these benefits. With this increased understanding, the CBD:THC ratios are becoming an important product metric. From the theory of the Entourage Effect, we know that cannabinoids working […]
- 7 Myths About Medical CannabisFor as long as we can remember, cannabis has been considered to be a hard drug, often grouped together with cocaine or heroin. This has led to stigmatization, resulting in the development of myths about the use of medical cannabis. This article aims to clarify the 7 most common myths that people hold about medical […]
- 7 Things To Know Before Trying Cannabis EdiblesCannabis Edibles are becoming the next most popular cannabis products. Edibles infused with cannabis are a simple and effortless way of adding cannabis to your life. They are simple to use, convenient to carry, and do not require the hassle of dosage administration. Just like any other cannabis product, edibles come with their own set […]
- 10 Simple Ways to Add Cannabis to Your LifeThe only thing that comes to mind when we hear the word cannabis is the act of smoking it. Irrespective of whether it’s being used for medical or recreational purposes, many people believe that the only way of consuming cannabis is smoking it. But that’s not true at all! Thanks to the popularity and widely […]
- Ayurvedic (Medical) Cannabis in India | FAQsAyurvedic or medical cannabis in India is gaining popularity. An increasing number of people are thinking of adopting plant-based remedies for their many worries and woes. But the information about cannabis is so scattered that it can get confusing. Users are unable to find reliable information about ayurvedic/medical cannabis on a single platform. This often […]